2546 W. Birchwood Ave
Mesa, Arizona 85202
P.O. Box 40700
Mesa, AZ 85274-0700
Fax: (480) 446-7695
|Notice of Privacy Practices
|THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW HEALTH INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED, AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
|Preferred Homecare uses health information about you for treatment, to obtain payment for treatment, for administrative purposes, and to evaluate the quality of care that you receive. Your health
information is contained in a file that is the physical property of Preferred Homecare.
|How Preferred Homecare May Use or Disclose Your Health Information
For Treatment. Preferred Homecare may use your health information to provide you with health care products, items, supplies, treatment or services (collectively, “services”). For example, information obtained by another health care provider will record information in your file that is related to your care. This information is necessary for health care providers to determine what services you should receive. Health care providers will also note actions taken by them in the course of your services.
For Payment. Preferred Homecare may use and disclose your health information to others for purposes of receiving payment for services that you receive. For example, a bill may be sent to you or a third-party payor, such as an insurance company (e.g., Medicare) or health plan. The information on the bill may contain information that identifies you, your diagnosis and services used in the course of your care
For Health Care Operations. Preferred Homecare may use and disclose health information about you for operational purposes. For example, your health information may be disclosed to members of the Company’s staff, risk or quality improvement personnel, and others to:
Required by Law. Preferred Homecare may use and disclose information about you as required by law. For example, the company may disclose information for the following purposes:
- Evaluate the performance of the staff;
- Assess the quality of care and outcomes in your/others’ cases
- Learn how to improve the Company’s facilities and services; and
- Determine how to continually improve the quality and effectiveness of the health care the Company provides
Public Health. Your health information may be used or disclosed for public health activities such as assisting public health authorities or other legal authorities to prevent or control disease, injury or disability, or for other health oversight activities.
- For judicial and administrative proceedings pursuant to legal authority;
- To report information related to victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence; and
- To assist law enforcement officials in their law enforcement duties
Decedents. Health information may be disclosed to funeral directors or coroners to enable them to carry out their lawful duties.
Organ/Tissue Donation. Your health information may be used or disclosed for cadaveric organ, eye or tissue donation purposes.
Research. Preferred Homecare may use your health information for research purposes when an institutional review board or privacy board that has reviewed the research proposal and established protocols to ensure the privacy of your health information has approved the research.
Health and Safety. Your health information may be disclosed to avert a serious threat to the health or safety of you or any other person pursuant to applicable law.
Government Functions. Your health information may be disclosed for specialized government functions such as protection of public officials or reporting to various branches of the armed services.
Workers’ Compensation. Your health information may be used or disclosed in order to comply with laws and regulations related to Workers’ Compensation.
Other Uses. Other uses and disclosures will be made only with your written authorization and you may revoke the authorization except to the extent
Company has taken in reliance on such.
Your Health Information Rights
You have the right to:
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information as provided by 45 C.F.R. §164.522; however, the company is not required to agree to a requested restriction
- Obtain a paper copy of the company’s Notice of Privacy Practices upon request;
- Inspect and obtain a copy of your health file as provided for in 45 C.F.R. §164.524;
- Amend your health file as provided in 45 C.F.R. §164.524;
- Request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative locations;
- Revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already been taken; and
- Receive an accounting of disclosures made of your health information as provided by 45 C.F.R. §164.528.
You may complain to Preferred Homecare and to the Department of Health and Human Services if you believe your privacy rights have been violated. You will not be retaliated against for filing a complaint.
Obligations of Preferred Homecare
Preferred Homecare is required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of your protected health information;
- Provide you with this Notice of the Company’s legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your health information;
- Abide by the terms of this Notice;
- Notify you if the company is unable to agree to a requested restriction on how your information is used or disclosed;
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may make to communicate health information by alternative means or at alternative locations; and
- Obtain your written authorization to use or disclose your health information for reasons other than those listed above and permitted under law.
Preferred Homecare reserves the right to change its information practices and to make the new provisions effective for all protected health information it maintains. Revised Notices will be made available to you by mail.
If you have any questions or complaints, please contact the Company’s HIPAA Privacy Officer at:
ATTN: Privacy Officer
P.O. Box 4700
Mesa, AZ 85274-0700